Thursday, 12 March 2009

Life in Wellington No.3

Ok we've now been here almost 5 months - I can't believe how quickly time is going past - but it's that time again when I share our life in Wellington and give you all an insight into life in this beautiful city.....

1. We have learnt that New Zealand as a country is sport mad... and very competitive... they shut the centre of Wellington for a Sunday afternoon to hold a cycle race - sport takes precedence!!!

2. The views from the Central Business District are fabulous - considering you are in the middle of a capital city... This is the view from the 16th floor where Steve is currently working - he has been known to watch dolphins swimming in the bay.

3. Continuing on with our theme of weird bugs... this is a Wellington Tree Weta. You can't tell from the picture but it's the size of the palm of your hand but completely harmless... these are also edible... I think I'll stick to meat and fish rather than insects though! One interesting fact is that their ears are the holes you can see on the front legs. This one was dead when I found it on the doorstep but there are others living in the trees around us.


4. I don't get this. We have now seen two planes that have been turned into restaurants... one was a cookie time plane and the other.....


is a McDonalds (Maccers to the locals)! I don't think they'd still fly - the steps might slow them down a bit ;)

5. When the say they're moving house over here, they really mean they're moving house. This was parked in the centre of Wellington a couple of weekends ago. This one still has drain pipes, glass in the window frames, curtains hanging up and a sign next to the door saying "Beware of the dog"!!

The top was split from the bottom and carried on the back of another lorry to its new location.
Still good fun :)

No comments: