Thursday, 1 January 2009

New Year, New Us, New Zealand

For the New Years Eve Celebrations we had been invited out with Adam and Rhea. Adam's family had come down from Auckland so Steve and I pretty much gate-crashed their family do.

The plan was to start with a BBQ at Adam and Rhea's new flat and a few drinkies. Followed by a trip into town to do the countdown and celebrate in Kiwi Style. Wellington central is an alcohol free zone and we knew that they would be searching bags on the way into Civic Square to ensure that no-one sneaked in cheeky bottles of alcohol.

Adam and Rhea live on the opposite side of the city to us so we had a couple of glasses of champagne before we left our house and walked to the bus stop to get the bus that goes straight from our road to theirs. After waiting for about 40 mins for a bus and seeing 2 go past with 'Sorry not in service' on the front we decided to stop the next taxi that went past.

The BBQ was good, the wine was lovely and the vodka and coke went down far too well. At about 10pm some of us got the bus into town and the remainder got a lift with Adam's dad who had decided to drive and we all met up in the centre of town.
Having been told that 10,000 people were expected in the centre for the countdown we decided to get there early - only to find about 500 people there so we went and found a pub to sit in to pass the remaining 2 hours until the countdown.

This was perhaps not a clever idea... the wine went down very well and the bottle of 'coke' that we'd brought with us was evaporating quickly.

We got back to the square just in time for the countdown.


No Auld Lang Syne but Steve had brought along his usual supply of pyrotechnics - this time in the form of huge party poppers which got a big cheer from the crowd.
It was then back to the pub for another few drinks - one of which I managed to drop on my foot - by this time I was barefoot so it really hurt, it was a good job I had already had a few drinks and it numbed the pain! I also got asked for ID when ordering drinks at the bar... the second time in about 2 weeks - I like New Zealand :)

I think we left the pub at about 2 to try to find a taxi. Steve and I walked back through the centre of Wellington, past the smarties - see Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand if you don't know what the smarties are!


We got home and unwisely turned on the computer and skyped our parents... not clever when you are a little bit merry.
It was a really good evening and so strange being outside on New Years Eve, being in short sleeves and being warm.

No comments: