Monday, 8 June 2009

Life in Wellington No.6

7 months here already - and it's winter... which means we're not up to much so as Wellingtonians are very fond of art I thought I would do this months 'weird and wonderful' blog on different bits of art or sculpture we've seen around the City.

1. This fella looks out over Lyall Bay... I don't think it's one of the real ones from Easter Island... although stranger things have happened! Apparantly it is a replica of an Easter Island Moai; a gift from the President of Chile.

(If you look closely you can see Cuthbert the Subaru in the background)

2. This is one of the Meridian Energy Wind Sculptures. The boxes spin round in the wind and are illuminated at night. It's on the road from the airport to our house... along Evans Bay

3. This is the Zephyrometer. It is a kinetic sculpture consisting of a concrete cylinder holding a 26m tall needle which sways to show wind direction and speed.

4. This is the 'Wellington Smarties'. Well actually it's real name is the Protoplasm, which is the name given to the inside active part of any living cell. The pebbles and movement simulate the random active cells.

5. The SkyBlues neon light sculptures are in Post Office Square (where there is no post office). The work comprises seven slim, tapering stainless steel poles, each nearly eleven metres tall, set out in the pattern of a Fibonacci or koru spiral.
I love these; they are really stunning at night and just brighten up the entire area.
I've got to be honest I love this city and keep spotting more sculptures throughout Wellington so I'll keep the camera with me and will post some more in a couple of months :D

No comments: