After we moved into the house in Wadestown we had to get some furniture pronto. Luckily Wendy had been working in the city, and as I had been travelling in everyday to look for jobs and meet her for lunch I had built up a pretty good idea of how to get around. Bob and Margaret had given us a couple of comfy chairs to relax on, a table to eat at and a bed to sleep in but that was about it. First on the list of things to buy was a kettle and toaster, then larger items such as a fridge and ironing board, etc.
Also I was on the look out for a heater as houses over here are designed to remove heat, not keep it in, and the weather was still a little cooler than we liked.
I soon found Cash Converter (thank god for world wide chain stores?) and discovered everything I needed under the one roof. At lunch I took Wendy to see the beautiful bounty and she agreed that the prices were fair, fitted within our budget and the items looked in good condition so I began bargaining. At the end of the day I returned with the car and had a bootful of stuff for way less than it was priced at.
The next few days were spent touring the local hardware and homeware stores looking for cheap items and weak staff so some hard haggling could be done. It’s surprising what deals are to be had in times of global credit crisis.
On Sunday we decided to go exploring once again and so travelled North up the Kapiti coast. Another beautiful day with very few people on the beach meant we had a great time, we even started looking at houses that were for sale and began planning commuter routes, now that is serious!!
No comments:
Post a Comment