Monday, 26 October 2009

Time flies when you're having fun.........

This coming Monday is Labour Day so that means just one thing. A three day weekend followed by a four day working week!!!

It also has a slightly different meaning for Wendy and I as it is our 1 year anniversary of arriving in New Zealand. I can't believe its been a year already so it is time to take a look back and see what we have been through.

Its been an interesting year that's for sure but we have found it relatively easy going. Sure there has been the odd hiccup and hospital visit but it has been fun. Sadly last summer I was working shifts and then suffered with a back injury so did not have much time together with Wendy but we will be making up for it this year. Wendy is all kitted out for the surf season as we bought her a new surf board at the end of last summer and I got her a new wetsuit for her birthday earlier this month. Hopefully I can start getting back in the water once I have had a few more physio sessions.
The Kiwi winter is all but over and the days are getting longer and warmer (at last!) so the ski season is sadly finished. We had great fun on the slopes over the last few months and Wendy had a great introduction to snowboarding. In fact she enjoyed it so much that we decided it would be better to buy her a snowboard rather than hire it as we were going so often. I also found a set of OE Subaru ski racks for the car on a well known auction site for a bargain price.
We also moved out of our little flat (thanks Bob and Margaret) and into a lovely house and filled it full of our stuff shipped from the UK.

So it doesn't look like we have done much at all in 12 months but we have been busy with work and entertaining eveings out as well. The most important thing we wanted to do when we came to New Zealand was to enjoy ourselves and not make any long lasting commitments to quickly or burn any bridges in case we needed to rethink things.

Looking towards the next 12 months we have recently been granted permanent residency so now have to send off our passports and make it official. I'm sure we will be staying here for a little while longer but it will be great to see a few familiar faces over the next couple of months as people drop in and say hi.

So here's to another year of fun in the sun!!

No comments: