I'm based on the 16th floor of a building that sways in the wind and shakes when we get earthquakes. Its fun in 'Windy Wellington' when the building is situated on a geographical fault line. Who thought that was a good idea? In fact the majority of Wellington CBD is flat as it is built on reclaimed land and the fault line runs straight down the middle of it. I keep getting reminded by Kiwi's that 'The Big One' is overdue by 10 years or so.
You get a cracking view from the top and the other day we watched dolphins playing in the bay.
Its just around the corner from the main Government building known as the Beehive.
The people I work with are great fun and real friendly and because its a Government department they supply as much free tea as I can drink, which is a lot!
The other night Wendy and I were invited to play 'Touch' with her work. This is a very easy going game based on rugby league played with 6 people (3 girls, 3 guys) and is quickly paced. Despite its 'fun' nature its a very good work out and so I have joined the team. We're not sure its allowed as I dont actually work at the firm but nevermind.
Along with joining the touch team Wendy and I have started running in the evenings. We can't afford gym fees and we dont have a huge amount to do in the evenings so it seemed like a good idea. We picked out a reasonably flat 2.5km route around the suburb where we live but as we're in the hills above Wellington nowheres flat and its pretty hard going.
We are amazed at the amount of people that run and cycle in Wellington. Every lunch time Thorndon Quay right the way round to Oriental Bay comes alive with joggers, people cycling, skating and even roller blading but I'm not desperate to get fit so will stick to evenings only for now!!
This is a photo of Oriental Bay at sunset, thats actually the moon rising!
This weekend we went to Wendys boss's house (Henry) for a BBQ. The weather was great and we had a real nice time just chatting.
We have also found a new 'sport' to keep us entertained on a Sunday. Real estate agents hold open homes so if your bored or nosey you can drive around and have a look at whats for sale. All you need to do is supply the agent with a few contact details (faulse of course so you dont get pestered) and your in! There are some amazing houses here and the market is falling so we'll have to see what happens. We may even put our correct details down if we can find a bargain.
Yesterday (which was offically the first day of summer!) Wendy flew to Nelson on the South Island. She is aduiting a company and will be there for the next 2 weeks so I will be taking the ferry over on Friday night. We decided a car would be very handy for exploring at the weekend and I didn't really want to fly. I feel the journey is always part of the holiday so I'm really looking forward to going over. I'll be sure to take some photos.
2 comments:
Great work Clever... do you get all the fish you can eat too!
Great to hear that you guys have really settled in!
love P & B (& A)
xx
Sadly I have to catch my own and its a long way to drop a line to the quay below :-)
Post a Comment