Merry Christams to all that read this.
I was working on Christmas Eve but luckily the powers that be decided to end the day early at 4pm rather than the usual 7pm. As Wendy had finished for the holidays a few days before, she had gone off to Lyall Bay for a surf lesson. I was rather envious but the weather was foul and it was absolutely chucking it down with rain so to be honest I wasn't that bothered about working. She was able to collect me from work in the car and I was very glad about that as Wellington was like a ghost town by the time I clocked off and the city's buses had all but stopped for Christmas. The city was almost entirely deserted and traffic reports were coming in about massive hold ups heading North, we were glad we were staying put for a few days. We headed home and decided to stay in for the rest of the night, watched some TV and packed a picnic ready to go to the beach the following day as we had promised ourselves that despite the weather we would go and spend some part of Christmas day on the beach in true Kiwi style.
Christmas morning started early and I was up ready to see what the days weather would be like.
This was the view at 7:30am from our living room. As it was a definite improvement from the previous day we decided to relax and promptly fell back asleep!
By 10am we decided to get up and open our presents, after we had opened all our gifts Wendy started going on about wanting a cup of tea in bed so I got up and made her one. It was at this point I found a piece of paper stuffed in with the tea bags.
It was a clue that lead me on a treasure hunt all over the house. Finally I arrived back in the bedroom and had to look under the bed. It was here that I found our wetsuits had been sent out from the UK. I was really happy to know that we could now go away for our planned surfing holiday between Christmas and New Year......but there was another clue attached to the wet suit bag........and it said I should go and look in the garage.
I went back down stairs (I had been up and down 2 times already, chasing clues) and opened the door to the garage and tucked in the corner was a brand new surf board.
I was absolutley dumb struck.
By now the skies had cleared and it was turning into a beautiful day so we loaded up the car and headed for the beach.
I spent 4hrs surfing and Wendy even decided to have a go on the new board as well.
Afterwards we went back to the car and got changed before getting the BBQ going on the beach for some well earned home made burgers.


That evening we got home and chilled out with a bottle of Champagne whilst talking to friends and family on Skype as they woke for Christmas morning.
Wendy and I had a truly memorable Christmas so lets hope the New Year celebrations are just as good!
Wendy and I had a truly memorable Christmas so lets hope the New Year celebrations are just as good!
No comments:
Post a Comment