Sunday, 2 August 2009

Life in Wellington No.8

We've now been here 9 months and once again it is time to show you a little more about kiwi life...

1. Well this is a bit strange - we saw this driving back from Mt Ruapehu last month. yes it is a giant welly boot made of corrugated steel. Apparantly it is a tribute to the kiwi inventors of the welly boot or gum boot as it is called over here... strange that; I thought the Wellington Boot was invented by someone called Wellington... not a kiwi... but obviously I'm wrong ;)

2. A carrot. A giant carrot that welcomes you to Ohakune - a town on the North Island. It is the carrot capital of New Zealand and they decided to celebrate it by creating a giant carrot - fair enough I suppose!


3. Tee hee, I found the Loch Ness Monster in a cream cheese dip... ok this is just be being silly but I thought I would share my discovery with the world :)


4. I like this one - it's just one of the weird bits of art that are placed alsmost randomly throughout Wellington. The Tail of the Whale, a bronze sculpture cast in Palm Springs, California was donated to the City of Wellington and has been in place on Oriental Parade ever since.


5. This photo was taken from the balcony of the old house. It was amazing to see the harbour so still when it is normally really windy and the water is usually quite choppy. What is strange though is that New Zealand seems to have a pear shaped moon...

No comments: